continuous system speaker from booting on

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Jan 10 18:51:46 UTC 2009

Jason Crain wrote:
> Tobias Verbeke wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> Jason Crain wrote:

>>> Does it also do that outside of Ubuntu, like while running memtest86?
>>>

>> No, it doesn't do this while running memtest86.
>>
>> One error message I was able to read during boot was
>> something along
>>
>> Unable to open /etc/udev/rules.d
>>

> I don't know what the 'Unable to open' message means, but you might try
> running fsck on your filesystems.  If nothing else works, you might be
> able to stop the beeping by running
>
> sudo rmmod pcspkr
>
> and add "blacklist pcspkr" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Well, that's a workaround fix all right, but it doesn't address the
underlying problem which is making his pc speaker sound off continuously
like that. There's something wrong there that needs fixing, which may
manifest itself in other ways if not correctly diagnosed and fixed. So
far I'm suspecting some kind of hardware problem, but I could be wrong.
If it is a hardware problem, it could get worse over time, and
eventually cost the OP a lot more to fix later.

I do have an excellent resource in my Uncle, who is a very capable
electronics technician that works on computers these days, so I will
fire off a quick email to him to see if he's ever heard of this
particular problem, or can suggest a diagnostic method to try. I'll get
back to you as soon as I hear back from him. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows