MySQL install password?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Jan 10 17:26:03 UTC 2009

stan wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:37:15AM -0500, steve wrote:
>> stan wrote:
>>> I am trying to get ampache running on my Ubuntu machine. This package uses
>>> MySQL. I looked at the MySQL 5.0 docs in /usr/share/docs, and it syas there
>>> that I should be able to set the MySQL root user password with:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/mysql -u root -D mysql -e "update user set
>>> password=password('new-password') where user='root'"
>>>
>>> But when I try that, it fails, saying I need a passwrd. How can I find out
>>> what password got set by the installer?
>>>
>> try this:
>>
>> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/reset-the-root-password-on-mysql.html
>>
> Well, I have really crreated a mess now :-( Reading further down that
> article I ran acroos what appeared to be the solutin. I ran it, before I
> ead on down further. Unfrotuantely the instruction there changed the
> password for _all_ users!!

Since you now know the root password, you can easily change the password
of other users.  Simply log onto the mysql console as root then follow
the instructions at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/set-password.html

The basic format is:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'bob' = PASSWORD('newpass');

Matt Flaschen