OT: Internet Provider

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Jan 10 10:48:45 UTC 2009

drew einhorn wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca
> <mailto:derek at pointerstop.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Brother Walt Gee wrote:
>
>     >
>     > For those of used to the plethora of DSL ISP's in certain areas
>     of the
>     > United States it may be hard to understand how there may only be
>     one ISP
>     > in Las Cruces.  Well here in extreme S/E Tennessee we are also
>     stuck with
>     > one only, AT&T.  Hopefully there will be some competition soon,
>     but as of
>     > now thaqt is it and BOY OH BOY! are they raking us over the
>     coals $39.95 a
>     > for month 3.0meg DSL!
>
>     Oh how my heart bleeds for you.  I pay $90/month for less speed,
>     AND I get
>     throttled if I download more than 100MB in a day - and I suspect
>     that while
>     that's high for North America, it would be a good deal in much of
>     the rest
>     of the world.
>

> Sounds like a US satellite provider.
>
> Here in New Mexico Qwest charges the same as AT&T in SE Tennessee,
> but we only get 1.5meg DSL for our money.
>
> Americans like to think we are the best.
>
> But for a dose of reality check this out:
>
>       http://speedtest.net/global.php?continent=1
>
> See how far down you have to scroll before you find the US.
> See how many third world countries have better internet service than us.
> And those statistics are just for the North American continent (a
> geographically
> correct definition, but one we are unacustomed to.  It includes
> Central America
> and the Carribean)
>
> It would be nice if the web site allowed us to select all continents,
> and increase
> the threshold for the minimum number on unique ip numbers, cities
> required for
> a country to be included in the report.  I wonder if the raw data for
> this website is
> availble somewhere.
>
> --
> Drew Einhorn
I'm sorry, but I must be looking at a different report than you, as the
link you provided shows the US as having the top download speeds in the
second chart, and all of the places in the first chart, with the
insanely high download speeds, seem to be located in the US as well.

How in the world does one manage to take advantage of a connection that
offers a download speed of 42,528 kb/s? My DSL connection is capable of
only 640KB/S, and even with it, I so far have not found a server to
download from that will feed me faster than around 310kb/s...

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows