Network works with 2.6.27-10 but not with 2.6.27-11

Paolo paolo2 at taize.fr
Fri Jan 9 15:06:11 UTC 2009

Hello,

With Ubuntu 8.10 Networking works OK for me with kernel 2.6.27-10-generic
but when I choose the newest kernel from the Grub menu 2.6.27.11-generic I
cannot get any connection, and the routing table is empty.

(I remember that when the updated kernel was installed there was a dialogue
about some file which asked if I wanted to install the packet manager's version
to which I replied in the affirmative. I thought it was the Grub menu list, but
maybe it was something else...)

Anyway, if I boot the -10 kernel and go to Network Tools > Netstat > Routing
Table Information, I see a full routing table. But if I boot into -11, that
routing table is empty.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to check next?

thanks,
Paolo