Screen Saver

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Fri Jan 9 05:45:49 UTC 2009

Rashkae wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got a good question for you all this time. Earlier today I decided
>> to have a look at the available screen savers in Ubuntu. There were some
>> nice ones, but I don't normally use a screen saver, so I set it to
>> disabled, and set the delay on it to 120 minutes.
>>
>> Ever since I looked at them now, the damn thing keeps activating after
>> ten or so minutes of being idle. I used the Screen Saver dialog on the
>> Preferences menu to look at them the first time. Since then I have also
>> gone into the Configuration Editor on the Applications, System menu, and
>> made sure they were disabled there as well.
>>
>> Still the damn thing keeps popping up every ten minutes. So... I found
>> the .xml file in the /home/ray/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver folder, and
>> made sure the settings in it were set to false for enabling the screen
>> saver, and even set the timeout delay to zero to see if that would
>> prevent it from activating.
>>
>> Nothing I have done has prevented the screen saver from coming on after
>> approximately ten minutes of idle time.
>>
>> How in the hell do I disable the screen saver??? I like to keep an eye
>> on the screen to see when new mail comes in, and I don't like using a
>> screen saver at all. Please help me get this thing to shut off.
>>
>> Thanks, Ray Parrish
>>

> Did you perchance install xscreensaver and start the xscreensaver demon
> from the menus somewhere?
>
> >From a terminal, try: ps -e | grep xscreensaver
>
> If you see xscreensaver in the list, kill it, or use xscreensaver-demo
> application to configure it.

I tried that command, and got no output, which is what I expected, as I
had already looked in System Monitor to see if there was a screensaver
daemon running, and there was none. I don't understand what is making it
run, and I'm not really happy with an operating system that will not
obey my commands.

There must be somewhere else that holds a setting that I'm not aware of.
here is the contents of the
/home/ray/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver/%gconf.xml file.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
        <entry name="user_switch_enabled" mtime="1231436939" type="bool"
value="false">
        </entry>
        <entry name="idle_delay" mtime="1231373736" type="int" value="0">
        </entry>
        <entry name="idle_activation_enabled" mtime="1231436906"
type="bool" value="false">
        </entry>
        <entry name="themes" mtime="1231468713" type="list" ltype="string">
        </entry>
        <entry name="mode" mtime="1231468713" type="string">
                <stringvalue>blank-only</stringvalue>
        </entry>
        <entry name="power_management_delay" mtime="1231459255"
type="int" value="30">
        </entry>
</gconf>

I'm wondering what the "mtime" settings are for, as they are not
accessible from the Screen Saver dialog, or from the Configuration Editor.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows