Laser Printer Advice

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Thu Jan 8 22:27:59 UTC 2009

Roger Benham wrote:
> I'm asking for advice as to what starter level colour laser printer is
> recommended for Ubuntu 8.10. I'd rather not spend a lot of money as
> this is going to be for home use and not production use. The quality
> of colour prints is for graphical rather than for photographs (which I
> get done professionally as I sell those to the public). Lexmark ink
> jet printers work fine enough for us but it is galling how little time
> elapses between fill-ups especially since those cost more than the
> printer (why is ink so expensive? Does it contain platinum?).
> Thanks,
> Roger from northern British Columbia.

> Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new *Yahoo! Canada
> Messenger* <http://ca.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/>
Hi Roger,
have an HP Color Laserjet 1600 that works with no agro in 8.04.
Setup straightforward, but has 1 black and 3 color toner cartridges, at
$A138 each.(HP replacement,
Haven't checked prices of aftermarket toner cartridges)
Given that the machine only cost $A460 to begin with, may be it's better
to buy a new machine
when these run out. Print quality is quite good, though not as good as a
quality Inkjet
Hope this helps.
Take Care
Winton