Install MySQL 5.1 on ubuntu 8.10

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Jan 8 16:09:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 12:09:43AM +0800, howard chen wrote:
> I am using the latest mysql-server 5.0 provided by offical ubuntu 8.10
> package.
>
> Now I want to try out the newest mysql 5.1. So should I ...
>
> 1. Compile from source, and install at other location such as /opt
> 2. Use no the stable apt repo?
>
> Which one is recommended?

It's up to you.  I find it easier to install a locally-built .deb
package (usually built from the source package in the upcoming Ubuntu).
That way it will get replaced by a newer official version in 6 months
when I upgrade the distro.

Marius Gedminas
--
There is an almost obvious extension of interfaces that would allow formal
specification of arguments and return values.  We suspect it leads to the dark