printer driver and configuration

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Jan 8 15:59:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 12:30:58PM +0000, Thufir wrote:
> I chose ubuntu because it offered, and delivered on, automagically
> recognizing and configuring my printer.  How do I determine what driver
> it loaded?
>
> ML-2510-Series
> Location: arrakis
> Printer Driver: Samsung ML-2510, 2.0.0

There you have it: it's the "Samsung ML-2510" driver.  ;-)

http://linuxprinting.org used to be the location of a large database of
which driver was needed for which printer in Linux.  It now redirects to
something called OpenPrinting, and it says this:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-ML-2510

Apparently the driver is distributed from the Samsung website.

> Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
> Device URI: usb://Samsung/ML-2510%20Series
>
> http://localhost:631/printers/
>
> More specifically, how would I repeat this configuration with another
> distro?  Which driver was installed?

I'm afraid I won't be able to answer your question fully, but at least I
can point you towards further documentation.  Ubuntu uses CUPS (the
Common Unix Printing System) for managing printers, like most modern
Linux distros.  I would hope that everything will just work; but if it
doesn't, you'll find documentation at http://www.cups.org/

Marius Gedminas
--
Despite all appearances, your boss is a thinking, feeling, human being.