Broken Gnome Desktop

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 7 17:59:35 UTC 2009

On 01/06/2009 07:29 AM, Steve Brettell wrote:
> For some reason, my Gnome desktop has broken: I'm running Ubuntu
> Hardy Heron; there are no panels on the desktop, and I can't restore
> them, they aren't "hidden," or at least they don't popup when the
> cursor is hovered over the space where they should be; no
> applications can be opened from the desktop; Alt-f2 does nothing. I
> can open files that are on the desktop, but nothing else.
>

> Steve Brettell

Can you use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to a terminal? If so, login (enter your
username and password at the prompts [1]. Then:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-panel
sudo reboot now

That will reboot the machine and when you log back in you should have
your panels back. If that doesn't work, then go back to the terminal and
we'll rename .gnome2 so that you can restore/edit/troubleshoot later:

sudo mv ~/.gnome2 ~/.x-gnome2-x
sudo reboot now

When you log back in you should have the original default panels. You
will find that any modifications that you had to the panels/menus
previously will be missing, that is expected. You can add them back, or
you can go through your old .gnome2 settings (now .x-gnome2-x) and see
if you can figure out what messed up the desktop.

Note: in many cases it's not necessary to reboot, however without
knowing what you may have done to your system to cause the panels to go
away I think it's better to reboot each time.