Password Problems on a Linux LDAP client bound to Mac OS X LDAP server

Michael Peek peek at tiem.utk.edu
Tue Jan 6 19:10:35 UTC 2009

Hi gurus,

I have a problem where I need to bind an ubuntu client to an existing
Mac OS X LDAP server.  I have the ubuntu box binding but I've got a
problem with passwords.  If I use crypt passwords on the server then the
user can log in to the linux box just fine.  But this causes problems
for the mac user, so what I want to do is use the default Open Directory
type of password.  But if I use OD passwords then the users can no
longer log in to the linux boxes: "Permission denied".

I know of others who have managed to get this to work, but I haven't
figured it out yet.  I figure it's a setting somewhere in either the
LDAP client configuration or in ubuntu's PAM configuration.

Anyone have  a clue they could lend me?

Thanks for your help,

Michael