change from edubuntu to ubuntu 8.04

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Mon Jan 5 01:02:48 UTC 2009

Jeroen T. Bezemer wrote:
> norman wrote:
>
>> My granddaughter has Edubuntu and Windows XP set up on a single hard
>> drive and has asked me if I could change the Edubuntu to Ubuntu 8.04 and
>> still retain the Windows XP. I have looked for some instruction but I am
>> still rather confused as to the best procedure. What would be the
>> simplest and quickest method to use, please.
>>
>> Norman
>>

> Startup synaptics-package-manager and install the package
> ubuntu-desktop. that ought to do everything you want, keeping every
> setting you have.
> That is, you need to have room enough on your edubuntu partition.

Which will not result in a default Ubuntu install, as by default the
package ubuntu-desktop isn't even installed. I found that out by
searching Synaptic one day on my Ubuntu 8.04 installation, and was very
surprised to find out it was not installed.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows