Desktop Icon Names for ntfs automounted drives

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 4 01:40:26 UTC 2009

I seem to recall sometime back in Feisty/Gutsy that when my automounted
ntfs drives came up on the desktop, the desktop icon reflected the name
of the drive in fstab. For example:

/dev/sdb1 on /media/windows type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=512)

and as listed in fstab:

/dev/sdb1 /media/windows  ntfs  iocharset=utf8,umask=000    0  0

would appear on the desktop icon labeled as 'windows'. However, since
8.04 they only appear as the media size. The drive above shows up as
"37.9 GB Media" under the icon rather than "windows".

Further, in Nautilus (Places|Computer) the drive(s) are listed this way
as well - unless of course I click to /media and then it shows as 'windows'.

Am I missing something, or is my CRS kicking in and have the drives
always been appearing this way? Anyone have any ideas on how to get the
drives labeled as they appear in /media?