Synaptic Error after Trying WINE Install

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Sat Jan 3 22:58:10 UTC 2009

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 17:12:57 -0500
Tom <lau at woh.rr.com> wrote:

> I got the following error from synaptic after I downloaded a WINE update
> and tried to install it:
>
> E: Type '--19:49:00--' is not known on line 1 in source
> list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.
> Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>
> Can someone help me get synaptic started again?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Sounds like a syntax error in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list. Can you post this file if it's not to long?

I'm assuming you added this to your apt sources list to get packages from a different repo than the standard Ubuntu ones. Maybe a conflict between the two?

Also what do you mean by "downloaded a WINE update" and how did you "try to install it". Need some more detail here. Do you have a link to the instructions you are following?

--
David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com>