Processor Scaling

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Jan 3 04:54:50 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>

>> Steve Flynn wrote:

>>> Unless you're experiencing an issue with processor scaling, you want
>>> your processor to run as the slowest speed possible to conserve
>>> energy. By turning it off, your machine will be sucking more juice and
>>> running hotter. The processor will ramp the speed up as it's required.
>>>
>>> However, if you really want to do this then it's quite possibly a
>>> setting on your bios. Failing that, you can read
>>> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/04/enabling-cpu-frequency-scaling/
>>> and follow the instructions there.
>>>
>>> Really though, you're not gaining anything other that a higher
>>> electricity bill or significantly lower batters life on a laptop.
>>>
>> I'm not worried about the power bill, and this isn't a laptop.
>>

> Damn.  That's the problem with North America.  Power is so cheap, nobody
> cares.

Well, we're talking about something that runs on 5 volts, I don't think
it's going to use enough extra poower to affect anything much...
>> I want
>> the most erformance I can get at all times, so I now have it set to
>> always run at 2gig.
>>

> And if your processor is now running at 20% instead of 50%, how exactly have
> you improved performance?

What the hell are you talking about? I'm now running the processor at
100%, not 20%, where did you get that number from?
> If CPU scaling is working as it should, as soon as you put a load on the CPU
> it'll up its frequency to keep working at its optimum.  Yes, there are
> specific cases where this causes problems, but there's no "performance"
> reason for turning it off in the general case.

That was the problem, when I put a load on it, it would stay at half
speed instead of kicking up to full speed when it was needed.

Someone else in this thread expressed concern over cpu temperature. I
just finished a four hour virus scan of my Windows drive, and during the
entire scan the cpu stayed at 107 F, and now is at 104 F, and it never
seems to get any hotter than that.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows