quad processors

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Fri Jan 2 19:28:26 UTC 2009

Hi!

drew einhorn wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Gilles Gravier <gilles at gravier.org
> <mailto:gilles at gravier.org>> wrote:
>
>     Want to have even more fun? Run it on a Sun UltraSPARC T2 machine
>     with 2
>     processors... At 64 threads per CPU, the machine thinks there are 128
>     distinct processors... and uses them all! :)
>

> Just curious, are there issues with bottlenecks between the processor
> and memory
> with 64 threads per cpu?

The machine is designed to avoid that. CPU thread optimization
(re)schedules threads so that they are interlaced, in particular when it
comes to memory access...

Have a look at this blog entry from one of my colleagues :
http://blogs.sun.com/travi/entry/ultrasparc_t1_utilization_explained

Oh... and the cool thing... the UltraSPARC T1 and T2 processors are open
sourced! They are GPL and available in VSDL at :
http://www.opensparc.net/ (anybody here want to build their own CPU - or
want to prepare a CPU design class using an open source CPU?).

Gilles.