quad processors

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Fri Jan 2 19:24:42 UTC 2009

Hi!

Knapp wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Gilles Gravier <gilles at gravier.org
> <mailto:gilles at gravier.org>> wrote:
>
>     Want to have even more fun? Run it on a Sun UltraSPARC T2 machine
>     with 2
>     processors... At 64 threads per CPU, the machine thinks there are 128
>     distinct processors... and uses them all! :)
>
>     Ross Schoenauer wrote:
>

> Can you explain that more? Is it a 2 cpu machine? Or ??
I was thinking of a 2 CPU machine (the T5140 and T5240 systems which are
1U and 2U machines capable of having either 1 or 2 CPUs)...

But we've actually now come up with QUAD CPU machines... The T5440 (
http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t5440/ ) !

So ... each UltraSPARC T2 CPU is 8 cores. Each of these cores runs 8
independant threads (each core has one ALU, one FPU, and one crypto
processor... the chip itself has 10Gb/s ethernet built-in as well).

Under Linux, each thread is seen as a separate CPU.

So a fully loaded (4 CPU) T5440 is seen as a 256 CPU machine. Linux
distros configured to display 1 penguin per CPU will scroll your screen
with 256 penguins. :) Very cute boot-up!

Gilles.