postfix failed to install under ubuntu

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 2 03:58:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 17:09 -0800, Peter wrote:

> I got lots of 403 error when run the above command, similar as install postfix.
>
> I think my 6.1 version is too old, is there a way that I can update my
>  OS to the latest 8.1 if I have no physical access to the machine?
6.10 (edgy) is no longer supported officially, so its files have been
removed from the official mirrors.  You can get access to packages by
using the repositories at old-releases.ubuntu.com.  Note that feisty
(7.04) is also at end-of-life, and is only available through
old-releases.

A direct jump to 8.10 is risky, because of changes to packages, or the
way things are done (eg, replacing the sysv init system for startup
scripts).

The safest procedure is to follow the guide on the wiki at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades to upgrade.  That page
shows the feisty-gutsy upgrade.  It covers most of what you need, except
that you will have to start by getting *to* feisty.  Note that it also
assumes that you can display the X-based update-manager tool, except for
a server.

I don't guarantee that this will work, but can't find any better way to
move from edgy to feisty (this is the risk you take for getting too far
behind):
1: Save your current /etc/apt/sources.list

2: Create a new /etc/apt/sources.list with 3 lines, like those cited in
the wiki page, except that they have 'edgy' where the wiki page has
'feisty'

3: run 'sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'

4: Change 'edgy' to 'feisty' in /etc/apt/sources.list, and repeat 'sudo
apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'.  You may have to reboot and
run 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' more than once, which is risky if you
are not doing this from the console.

You should then be able to use feisty's update-manager, etc to upgrade
as per the wiki page

> Thanks.
>
> Peter

Hope this helps