Are thes files usually scripts in Ubuntu?

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Thu Jan 1 16:51:54 UTC 2009

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was reading article from some of the magazines I get in email today
>> and ran across one about Root Kit Hunter for Linus, so I decided to
>> install and run it just to see what it said. It found no root kits, but
>> did give me a warning on the following five files.
>>
>> [13:17:33] /bin/which                                        [ Warning ]
>> [13:17:33] Warning: The command '/bin/which' has been replaced by a
>> script: /bin/which: POSIX shell script text executable
>> [13:17:35] /usr/bin/groups                                   [ Warning ]
>> [13:17:35] Warning: The command '/usr/bin/groups' has been replaced by a
>> script: /usr/bin/groups: POSIX shell script text executable
>> [13:17:36] /usr/bin/ldd                                      [ Warning ]
>> [13:17:36] Warning: The command '/usr/bin/ldd' has been replaced by a
>> script: /usr/bin/ldd: Bourne-Again shell script text executable
>> [13:17:40] /usr/bin/lwp-request                              [ Warning ]
>> [13:17:41] Warning: The command '/usr/bin/lwp-request' has been replaced
>> by a script: /usr/bin/lwp-request: perl script text executable
>> [13:17:43] /usr/sbin/adduser                                 [ Warning ]
>> [13:17:43] Warning: The command '/usr/sbin/adduser' has been replaced by
>> a script: /usr/sbin/adduser: perl script text executable
>>
>> Since this Root Kit Hunter isn't specifically designed for Ubuntu but
>> claimed to be cross platform for all Linux machines I would like to know
>> if it's normal for the preceding files to be scripts in Ubuntu Hardy
>> Heron instead of binary files.
>>

> Hi Ray
>
> I run rkhunter on all the desktops at work, and once you tune it up it
> is reassuring :-)
>
> Hopefully you installed it from the repositories, the ubuntu version
> has some nice additions that the vanilla one on the sourceforge site
> doesn't - e.g. it automatically runs the update script when you
> install things so it doesn't warn you about them etc.
>
> You should also have seen warnings about some hidden files and directories.
>
> I think the best way for you to be comfortable is to check all the
> files it warns about when you are booted from a fresh install or the
> live cd.
>
> If you'd prefer something less reliable, shoot me an email tomorrow
> and I'll send you my config file I use with all the relevant files
> approved.
>
> Brian
>
> You should also have seen

Hi there!

No, I couldn't find it in synaptic, so I installed the one from
Sourceforge. I tried searching on root kit, and one package that only
looked for around five versions of root kits showed up, and nothing
else. I didn't think of searching on rkhunter instead, it just came to
me while writing this.

Is there a way to make it search my mounted Windows drives? I'm more
concerned about them, as I'm getting some strange behavior on that side
of this box.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows