Gmail change?

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Sat Feb 28 23:21:30 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>     I use gmail and IMAP it to my Thunderbird and it acts almost like
> any email provider with one real big problem. At some time it will
> pester you to death asking for your user name and password. These
> attacks were about once or twice a week and lasted for a couple of hours.

This issue (which I have experienced until recently too), has been
widely discussed on the web (search "gmail asking for password"), an
example from ourselves:

My suspicion is that the popularity of Google IMAP and POP features was
stressing their email infrastructure and they have taken to about Jan
this year to bulk up the relevant component(s) sufficiently (For the
culprit I'd guess the IMAP, POP servers themselves, since the web mail
interface *never* exhibited this issue).

Of course it *could* have been an attack on the IMAP/POP servers... as
far a I can see Google have not said anything about this problem (ahem -
typical of them...)

regards

Mark