Why Basic installation of Ubuntu doesn't have codecs installed?

Odzangba K. Dake odzangba at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 07:36:32 UTC 2009

On Thursday 26 February 2009 13:19:34 Asha Rose wrote:
<snip>
> Is there any way to include the codecs with the players so that it will
> come with the basic ubuntu installations. Almost all other things they
> require are coming with ubuntu basic installations.

Frustrating isn't it? While legal reasons prevent Canonical from shipping
ubuntu with multimedia codecs, I don't think those reasons should stop you
from creating your own custom ubuntu live cd with the codecs installed (it
appears you at least have internet access and in all likelihood, have the
codecs installed.) The easiest way to do this is to use remastersys. Search
for remastersys in synaptic. It basically allows you to clone your system and
turn it into a live cd, which you can then distribute to your friends and
family.

--
Odzangba