apt-get update: (101 Network is Unreachable)

Joseph Linkous thecatchallemail at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 03:28:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>wrote:

> Joseph Linkous wrote:
>
> > It seems almost everyone's gotten this error at one point or another,
>
> Not _this_ one...
>
> > Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Sources
> >   Cannot initiate the connection to us.archive.ubuntu.com:80
> >   (91.189.88.45).
> > - connect (101 Network is unreachable) [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]
> > W: Failed to fetch
>
> It sure looks like your network is unreachable.  Are you _sure_ you are
> connected?
>
> Can you reach anything via a browser?
> --
> derek

You're absolutely right, I wasn't connected. I could run nslookup on the
address, but not a ping. Pestilence from the IRC channel walked me through a
few things, then found that /etc/network/interfaces wasn't setup correctly.
After a quick modification, I'm apt-get'ing like a pro.

Thanks for all the help!