Serial Port Terminal Program

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Fri Feb 27 19:58:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 20:40 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:22:34 -0500
> Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Vince - I believe I suggested using 'screen' earlier?
>
> No.
>
> >  It will connect directly to the /dev/tty port.  Does that accomplish what you need?
>
> >From the description, it's a terminal emulator so no good.
> If it can attach directly to the serial port without any terminal
> emulation nor flow control, the perhaps it could be used, but it would
> take more than just that to make it as useful and easy/efficient to use
> as Gtkterm unfortunately.
> So far screen looks like minicom, too versatile, not straiught enough
> to the point/easy.
>
> "we" really need a clone of gtkterm.. because it was written by a
> fellow electronic designer, so it is 100% to the point, with just the
> right features, easily accessible. It allows one to be prodcutive and
> efficient. All other terminal program are more geared towards computing
> rather electronic design. The author of Gtkterm said "I wrote Gtkterm
> because none of the available terminal programs offered an easy way to
> debug UART communication on embedded electronics". He wrote this several
> years ago, and as far as I can see, the situation is very much the same
> today as it was when he wrote it.
> It's annoying because Gtkterm is quite buggy sadly, and unfortunately
> unmaintained. But even buggy, it's still the only terminal program that
> allows one do debugging work easily/painlessly.
> I guess looing for similar programs on MS-DOS or Windows and running
> them via emulators or VM's, it the only other option. Pfff...
>

> --
> Vince

It seems like a simple terminal program with enough of a buffer to not
lose data while the screen is updating would be a no brainer. I do not
need all kinds of bells and whistles.

Unfortunately I do not have time to try all 1000 choices in Synaptic. It
would be nice to have something in the distribution that worked
correctly.

I guess I have to stop being productive to try to find something that
works.

Kip

--

Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...