Software for Windows Podcasts

GaryT taig at melbpc.org.au
Fri Feb 27 19:31:11 UTC 2009

Scott Abbey wrote:
> On Friday 27 February 2009 06:42:07 GaryT wrote:
>
>> The program I want contains Microsoft codecs and they're not open source
>> - they can't be distributed free with other software, eg. Linux.
>> They're automatically loaded when you buy Windows.
>> GT
>>
> You can install the package 'ubuntu-restricted-extras' which will bring in
> codecs for wma and wmv, Microsoft's audio and video codecs, respectively.
> Rhythmbox, Banshee, and Amarok all support podcast subscriptions. There are
> dozens of other tools that can download them, as well.

Many thanks, Scott.
Impatient as ever, before seeing your message I had searched through
backups from the old system, found some screen dumps, found the name and
bought it online.  The package is published by "Fluendo S.A." - Spanish
as it turns out.

The Fluendo commercial package plays the podcasts but doesn't offer any
opportunity to download them (which I've found is often the Windows
default but probably depends upon the way the URL is built).  I'm not
concerned - it was terrific to find that Rhythmbox provides all that
capability and already I've caught up with some (science radio) download
backlog.

Greatly appreciate your help.
GT