I don't know if this is where to get tech support.

Stephen stephen_o at rogers.com
Fri Feb 27 18:34:11 UTC 2009

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
>> I tried to in stall ubuntu on my computer. It told me that there was one
>> minute left a about 79% of the install.
>>
>> 45 minutes later I found that my computer had locked up at 88% of the
>> install. I tried to re-install and It wanted to use another section of
>> the windows partition.
>>
>> I didn't get the option to:
>> 1)   use the existing linux partition.
>> 2)   repair the current ubuntu installation.
>>
>> The only option I had was to use a part of the existing windows
>> partition, and reinstall the whole thing. Now I can't get rid of to 120
>> gigs partition that ubuntu set up. My windows partitioner won't delete
>> the partition because it says it is in an unknown format.
>>
>> When I try to remove the linux partition with ubuntu booted live it
>> tells me I have to unmount the partitions that are higher than ext5
>> before I can delete the partition and I can't find any way to do that.
>>

>> Stephen.
>>

> Perhaps you could try a partition manager like GParted, that boots from
> the CD, to delete all the unwanted partitions and maybe create the new
> ones (you don't need 120 gig, just 10gig for root /  2gig for /swap and
> 10gig for /home ) and give Ubuntu another chance with the Alternate CD.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779
> <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779>
>
> And yes, this is were you might get some personal support.
>
> Good luck,
>
> L.

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded a partitioner from the internet and burned it to disk and
it worked fine. I started over again and I discovered that the reason
that the computer took 45 at 88% was because I had inadvertently clicked
on import user documents from windows. It was importing 90 gigs of files
from the windows "My Documents" area

I gave it 120 gigs because I am thinking of switching completely to
linux, but I want to test it first. There are supposedly emulators that
I can get to play the few windows games I like to play on a linux system.

Thanks again;
Stephen