Equivalent of UltraSurf

Scott Abbey scott at eotr.net
Fri Feb 27 06:57:56 UTC 2009

On Thursday 26 February 2009 20:56:16 H.S.Rai wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Scott Abbey <scott at eotr.net> wrote:
> > For anonymous surfing, try Tor [1]. As for cookies and the like, there
> > are several extensions for Firefox that provide for cookie blocking and
> > sanitized browser history. I use one called Stealther, but I'm sure
> > there are others.
>
> Thanks. I used TOR with Privoxy. It worked for some sites. But search
> for google throws error (see below signature).
>
> YouTube says: "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old
> version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

I'm not sure what you can do about this. It's a limitation of the software.

> Google Error

<snip>

The Google error you're receiving is not unexpected. Google really wants to
know how you are when you use their services. I'm not a conspiracy theorist,
but Google is likely blocking the Privoxy/Tor endpoint server because it
allows anonymous use. Anonymous use makes abuse easier, including use by
malware and bots. My guess would be that UltraSurf would face similar problems
if it were better known. Tor/Privoxy are very popular and well known, and that
makes them popular with abusers as well.

--
Scott Abbey <scott at eotr.net>