Installing Stellarium 10.1 in Hardy

Jan Litwiński jlitwinski at vp.pl
Thu Feb 26 17:46:53 UTC 2009

Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/2/26 Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski at vp.pl>:
>> Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Although I do have the Backports repo enabled, I cannot install the
>>> stellarium 10.1 .deb from Launchpad on Hardy, as I am missing many
>>> dependencies:
>
>> try this:
>> sudo apt-get -f install
>
> Why?  The guy that packaged that program thought it needed those
> dependencies - what do you know than he didn't?
>
> Recommending a forced install, especially without explaining what it's
> doing to somebody less knowledgeable than Dotan could cause them a lot
> of grief.  Please don't do that!
don't warry,from the man page:

-f, --fix-broken
           Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in place.
           This option, when used with install/remove, can omit any packages
           to permit APT to deduce a likely solution. Any Package that are
           specified must completely correct the problem. The option is
           sometimes necessary when running APT for the first time; APT itself
           does not allow broken package dependencies to exist on a system. It
           is possible that a system´s dependency structure can be so corrupt
           as to require manual intervention (which usually means using
           dselect(8) or dpkg --remove to eliminate some of the offending
           packages). Use of this option together with -m may produce an error
           in some situations. Configuration Item: APT::Get::Fix-Broken.

--
J at nek
jlitwinski(AT)gmail.com			"Linux is like a wigwam, no gates,