Installation report

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 04:42:21 UTC 2009

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:16:27 -0300
> Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 80 wire cable on a 20 gig HD? I doubt this is the problem.
>>
>> These are the specs.:
>>
>> IBM DeskStar 40GV
>> Mfr P/N: 07N3924
>> Formatted Capacity: 20GB
>> Interface: 40-pin ATA      <<---
>>

> Have you ever seen an 80-pin ATA interface?
> I haven't, but I do know what let me use an old 10GB drive with Ubuntu
> 8.10

You are right, to my dismay this ancient HD (2000/2001) had indeed Ultra
ATA 100 capabilities that only can be attained with:

    * a 40 pin, 80 conductor cable
    * A controller card or motherboard chipset with Ultra ATA/100 capability
    * Ultra ATA/100 compatible BIOS or driver

If a decent OS find the last two conditions it will assume that the
first one is also valid. Windows pre-XP was probably more forgiving.

Even though, her 8.10 does not even detect the HD, while others systems
do (she somehow partitioned it), was that exactly what you faced?

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
skype: lmnicolosi1