[Ubuntu 8.10] Need help getting out of odd update manager loop

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 26 03:59:01 UTC 2009

On 02/25/2009 07:05 PM, David Karr wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> > In this case, I was only using it to install an Emacs lisp package. In
>> the
>> > future, if I have to do that again, I'll enable the repo, install just
>> that
>> > package, and disable the repo.  If it's for anything else, I'll keep it
>> away
>> > from update manager.
>>
>> Have you checked to see if perhaps the package is already available?
>>
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=emacs
>>
>> Also, you can try:
>> http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=packages.ubuntu+%2Bemacs
>> which leads to a PPA for Emacs Lisp:
>> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive/ppa<https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-elisp/+archive/ppa>
>>
>> Not sure if those are helpful, but if you post the name of the debian
>> package here then someone is likely to be able to assist.
>>

> Those are useful resources, but the package I installed, "js2-mode", wasn't
> in any of those lists, that I could see.  I don't remember the exact name of
> the debian package, but it was probably just "js2-mode".

It's scheduled for Jaunty:
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=js2-mode>
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/js2-mode

I just downloaded the deb:
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/all/js2-mode/download>
and installed the deb on Hardy by double-clicking via Nautilus and using
the package installer. The package installer checked to ensure that all
dependencies are met before installing, so I'm sure that you can do the
same on Intrepid.

Now I'm off to 'uninstall' it as I've no clue what to do with it :-)