[Ubuntu 8.10] Need help getting out of odd update manager loop

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 23:05:21 UTC 2009

David Karr wrote:
> I posted on this earlier today on the Ubuntu Forum, but I really could use
> some help with this.
>
> I was running along fine with Ubuntu 8.10 for quite a while. Whenever I see
> the updates available icon, I always install all updates. I've been fine
> with this.
>
> Today, I decided i wanted to install two packages, the "dos2unix" tool, and
> the "js2-mode" Emacs package.  I did them both at about the same time, so
> I'm not sure which caused my current problem.
>
> I needed to add another repo to get the Emacs mode package.  I added it, but

Which exact repo did you add? Right after you added this repo and
checked for upgrades and installed the above two packages, were these
the only packages that were needed to be upgraded/installed?

> it complained about a missing pubkey, so I added that pubkey.  When I was
> done, both dos2unix and the new Emacs mode appeared to be working fine.
>
> I then noticed that the updates available icon was there.  When I hovered
> over it, it said "There are 530 updates available".  Uh, oh.

After you installed the two packages, did you remove the repo you added
in the earlier step?

> When I brought up Update Manager, it presented a dialog saying:
>
> "Not all updates can be installed ...", giving me the choice to run a
> "Partial Upgrade", or just continue (the choice of which is ambiguous).
>
> At this point, I posted the question about this on the Ubuntu forum.
> Someone advised me to run the following commands:
>
>     sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

I don't think there is any difference between this and checking for
upgrades using the update manager.

At this point, if you do
$> sudo aptitude clean

you will lose all downloaded (but not yet installed upgrades). But
please answer the above queries first to see what is going on.

It might be prudent to not do any upgrades till you are clear what is
going on.

Regards.

ever having been read.