Help Third party app installation

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 25 19:35:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:30:26 -0500, Bill Wright wrote:

> I am running 8.04 LTS desktop. Being a Windows user for many years I am
> at a loss on how to install non packaged applications. I downloaded the
> TAR file, decompressed it, then I am lost? What must I enter on the
> command line?

It is seldom necessary to install non packaged applications. For almost
any task there are suitable applications in the repostories.

If you really have to use a application for which you can't find anything
in the repostories, you will almost always find a Readme and/or Install
file in the toplevel directory after untaring the file. Read those files,
they will tell you what to do, there is no general instruction for that,
it depends on the kind of package, source or binary.

Aart