Dreamweaver Equiv

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Wed Feb 25 02:45:16 UTC 2009

Odd <iodine at runbox.no> wrote:

> On Linux, most apps are free and people maybe expect things
> to be free, but what may be needed is to encourage commercial
> enterprices to create or port software to Linux. But with the low
> market share Linux has in the desktop market, it certainly isn't
> easy. Hopefully this will increase, and if people are willing to pay,
> perhaps it will happen.

One problem is that porting an application needs a lot of work and is
often done badly (e.g. applications don't integrate very well with
Linux or aren't portable among distributions).

Another problem is that a lot of Linux users don't want to use closed
source software for various reasons. and a lot of commercial
enterprices don't want to create FLOSS for various reasons.

> Another way things could happen is for the Linux community to
> support open source programmers with their dollars to create
> the software they seek. If one wanted a WYSIWYG editor
> like Dreamweaver, one could pay an amount to that project.

Quite often it's much more helpful to spend some time instead of
money, e.g. by reporting bugs and feature requests, providing patches,
writing documentation and keeping it up to date, providing
translations, creating artwork, examples, templates and stuff like
that, helping with user support on forums and mailing lists, creating
binaries or packages for various platforms, ...

> I know such initiatives exist, though I don't remember URLs
> offhand.

Sourceforge.net has a "donate to this project" functionality.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>