skype working in Intrepid and Jaunty?

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 02:27:37 UTC 2009

H.S. wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> H.S. wrote:
>>
>>> Planning on installing a newer version of Ubuntu over Hardy in several
>>> weeks' time. Just wanted to ask here if people have Skype working on the
>>> newer versions, Intrepid/Jaunty?
>>>
>> Skype works for me (8.10 i386 with latest Pulse Audio).
>>

> Did you need to do anything special to get it to work with PA? I had trouble with it in Hardy and switched to alsa.
>
>> Could not set up the video with 8.10 AMD64.
>>

>> Interesting. Incidentally, the machine in question is actually AMD 64
>> machine.

I think that at first (8.10 i386 - early days) I had no option but to
use ALSA, I would get microphone return sound only at the left earphone,
but then PulseAudio was updated and Skype was set to use it without
problems. Nevertheless those configurations are probably hardware
dependent and I might have observed only a local problem (and as Skype
is not in the repositories...)

However there are indeed video issues in some applications for 8.10
(i386: Cheese and Ekiga works, Camorama won't - could you guys please
stop bullshitting about top and bottom posting and help me?) and with
Skype and AMD64, you should google it before upgrading. My 64 is a test
install and although I have just updated it (yesterday) and installed
Skype, I didn't try hard to make the Skype video work.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W