how to install 2.6.26 in Hardy for VX-1000 webcam?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 19:01:37 UTC 2009

Nils Kassube wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Hardy has 2.6.24 kernel. I understand that to get Microsoft's VX-1000
>> webcam to work, I need 2.6.26 kernel in Hardy. How does one go
>> installing a newer kernel which is not already in the repos in Hardy?
>
> Not already in the repos and probably never will be ...
>
> IMHO there are three options.
>
> 1. Upgrade to 8.10 [1] - this is the least troublesome option.
> 2. Build your own kernel [2].
> 3. In theory you could change your /etc/apt/sources.list temporarily to
> intrepid and install the intrepid kernel. Do not upgrade, only install
> the kernel and then restore the previous setup for hardy of
> your /etc/apt/sources.list. However even if you only install the kernel
> and the other packages the kernel depends on you may render your system
> unusable. Personally I never did it for a newer kernel but only for an
> older kernel from a previous Ubuntu version and I don't know if it would
> work at all. Therefore, I would suggest you don't go this route unless
> you really know what you are doing.
>

> Nils
>
> [1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades>
> [2] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/forum/software/CustomKernel>

Thanks for the feedback.

I have tried the third option but only in Debian (on can get packages
from Stable or Testing or Unstable), works very well. Never tried this
on Ubuntu and do not want to take that chance in this case (this is to
be done remotely).

The safest bet is to compile the kernel, but is more complicated (I have
compiled kernels myself in the past, so it is not difficult, but it is
complex). The easiest is to upgrade to Intrepid (but it has some
problems of its own).

Will see how it goes ... but I will try to avoid doing anything related
to new kernel till I can install a new version (Jaunty) myself when I am
at the machine next time.

Regards.

ever having been read.