Problem with installation

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Tue Feb 24 14:28:00 UTC 2009

Víctor A. Trejo Peña:

> Hi. I just downloaded and recorderd Ubuntu. I tried to install it into a
> Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz, with 128 MB RAM.

Looking at the system requirements, I read here
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition
| At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of
| RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). Install requires at
| least 4 GB of disk space.
and here
http://www.xubuntu.org/get
| You need 128 MB RAM to run the Live CD or 192 MB RAM to install. The
| Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM at install time.
| To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk. Once
| installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended
| to have at least 256 MB RAM.

So it seems that you're simply out of luck if you want to run a desktop Ubuntu
on a machine with 128 MB RAM.
If upgrading the machine's RAM is not an option, you could give the Xubuntu
alternate CD a try and after installation setup an even more lightweight X
environment.

Regards
  mks