/etc/cron.daily/apt hangs [solved]

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Feb 24 13:59:14 UTC 2009

Rashkae wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>

>> Hmmm.  Not that obvious - I didn't think the cron jobs waited for one
>> another at all...
>
> They don't.  Cron.daily is, in fact, 1 cron job.  (examine /etc/crontab
> to see how it's done)

Er, actually /etc/crontab runs run-parts - and I didn't think run-parts was
synchronous.  Obviously my mistake - but I was just pointing out that it
wasn't entirely obvious even to somebody of my experience :-)

>> Even knowing mostly geeks - the sort of people who might be expected to
>> run a machine 24/7, I don't know many people whose _personal_ machines
>> run full-time.
>
> Huh, that's interesting.. I'll admit the that the reasons to keep a
> machine running around the clock are mostly bogus, most geeks I know do
> so anyhow.

Almost everybody I know these days uses a laptop as a primary system, and
while we never boot them, they aren't on all the time.
--
derek