/etc/cron.daily/apt hangs [solved]

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Tue Feb 24 02:46:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 21:13 -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> >
> > <nitpick_mode>
> > Strictly speaking, the cron jobs don't wait for each other, but rather there's
> > only one cron job involved - the one which starts run-parts. Which, in turn,
> > runs the scripts in the cron.daily directory, and does so one after the other.
> > </nitpick_mode>
> >
> > Regards
> >   mks
> >

> Details aside, I think we can reasonably agree that a random sleep
> holding up the daily cron job is not really expected behaviour and this
> can be tuned a little somehow,, (ex, put apt in it's own crantab file
> instead of using cron.daily)

You can always add the --new-session parameter and run-parts will then
run each job in a separate process.  I'd experiment with this first,
since you could run the load average up pretty quickly for a short
duration.  If you have enough memory and processing power, this is
probably pretty harmless.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and