Why do people detest top posting so much?

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 15:09:41 UTC 2009

Hi

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 00:17:23 Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Thomas Wolf wrote:
> > thread that mixes top- and bottom-posting.  So one should adopt the
> > style preferred by the given mailing list - which is bottom-posting here.
>
> And text-only too...
> What is the deal with that gray background?
>
> --
> Chef de projet chez Vectoris
> http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby
> System: xUbuntu 8.10 with almost all from package install

One could argue for both sides on a number of reasons. The main one being the
natural flow for the English language which is in use here is left to right
then top to bottom. Mind you there are languages in which this convention is
moot like Hebrew/Aramaic or the various Oriental languages

Personally I can't see why both styles can't be used if appropriate measures
are used to make the post readable, i.e. trimming and possibly referring to
sections directly that one is replying to so as not to confuse others.

I'm on other forums where both styles are used and 99.99% of the time I have
no probs reading them and figuring what they relate to

James