help on mic

Robert Parker rlp1938 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 23:43:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Craig Cassel <craig_cassel at ntm.org> wrote:
> I am new to this list and I am new to using ubuntu. I don't have all the skills to configure this and configure that. I have used Puppy and Mandriva some.
>
> I have ubuntu 8.04 and mostly everything works okay. Some freezing some time.
>
> I am using a gateway laptop and my mic (plug in is all I have) does not work. I need it for skype and gizmo.  I also installed virtual box and
> Windwos xp and my mic does not work there either. Just before all the installations I had XP and Mandriva install and my mic worked fine so I
> am pretty sure its not a hardware problem.
>
> Can some one give me extremely simple instructions on how to get it working?

1. Update pulseaudio as per this link;

2. Settings for Skype Version 2;        Main Menu > Options > Sound Devices
                     Sound In     HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0)
                     Sound Out  Pulse
                     Ringing       Pulse

I guess the Skype settings may be particular to the sound device on my
computer so you might need to experiment a bit.

HTH
Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!