install ubuntu from a running Linux system

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sat Feb 21 14:36:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:33:12 +0300
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mihamina at lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
> What is the procedure, nowadays, to install a 64 bit Ubuntu from a
> running system?
> It's a dedicated server, which can boot a "rescue" system.
> The hosting solution provides only 32 bit OSes and I want to install a
> 64 bit one (no matter it's worth or not, it's just a wish).
>
>  From the "rescue" mode of the server, I can chroot to the main hard
> drive.
>
> Searching with "install ubuntu from live system" only gives me how to
> install from a Live CD.
>
> Thanks for ny tips.

I think you will have to do a fresh installation with the 64-bit image.
I do not believe you can upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

You can use the server edition, without a GUI, by downloading the ISO:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Be sure to check the 64-bit version box.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz