download and install

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Fri Feb 20 20:20:11 UTC 2009

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 09:49 -0800, Jeremy Tyree wrote:
>> I downloaded avg freeware, not that I think I need an anit-virus, but
>> just to be safe, I did, wouldn't install.
>
> Is there are particular reason why you'd want to use avg instead of
> clamav, which is included in Ubuntu and can installed right from
> Ubuntu's software repositories?

PMFJI here, but it should be noted that clamav is not what most typical
desktop users would expect from an anti-virus program.  It only scans
and reports on things about which it is asked...which is to say it is
not a watchdog layer like M$ based software implementations such as
McAfee/Symantec/Avast, etc.

It has been rightly pointed out that such a system is available for
Linux from AVG, but clamav is not this type of anti-virus and for users
who desire this (imnsho unneeded) protection layer, it is a false sense
of security.

HTH,
-Ray