Help Ubuntu 8.10 X server has started crashing 1-2 per day

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Feb 20 15:35:43 UTC 2009

Thomas Wolf wrote:
<snip>
> As an aside, I've been a UNIX user since about 1985 (I emphasize "user"
> - vs. hacker).  I never have understood why some folks feel so strongly
> about putting the quote before the reply.  An e-mail quote is not like a
> literary quote.  It's there to provide a contextual background - in case
> it's needed by the reader.  As such, it's of secondary importance to the
> new content and should, therefore, be placed second.

Take a book...just about any book...and number the paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4,...

Then read it. Start at paragraph 2, then jump to 1, then to 4, then 3,
then 6, then 5.

See how long it takes for you to either give up reading it or toss it aside.

Or, try reading chapter 4, then find references in that chapter into
context by hunting through chapters one through three. Keep jumping back
and forth until you piece it together.

Messages in email aren't that long, but when you keep having to sift
through a lot of them over time that's what it amounts to. Unless you're
part of the brain-fart generation where every mental hiccup is deemed
worth of broadcasting to "ur frendz w txts" or you are unaccustomed to
reading things longer than three paragraphs at a time, it's far easier
to scan information chronologically and in context for reference (and
CLARITY of what you're referring to!) than tacking an extra two pages of
"just in case you want to search crap to figure out what the #@$ we're
talking about"...that's what threading your sent items and/or
trash/deleted items is for.

It's funny how many businesses bitch about emailers not being clear
about conveying their thoughts and ideas in email while still posting a
few lines of brain dropping to the top of a three page emailed memo and
expecting people to take time to know what in the message you're
referring to. It's laziness.