My Wifi Woes

Raquel raquel at thericehouse.net
Thu Feb 19 23:03:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:54:56 -0700
John Hubbard <ender8282 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Raquel wrote:
> > Three or four weeks ago I bought my very first laptop, an HP
> > G70-246US.  After opening up the box I immediately replaced
> > Windows Vista with Ubuntu 8.10.  Everything was fantastic, except
> > wireless networking.  My wired network came up "automagically"
> > and when I'd move to another wired network, it "just worked".
> > The new laptop comes with an Atheros AR928x.
> >
> > I asked here and got no joy.  For 2 weeks I read everything I
> > could find in forums, lists, wikis, blogs and every help site I
> > could in that time.  Last night I found a hint and edited
> > my /etc/network/interfaces file.
> >
> > I changed it from:
> >      auto lo
> >      iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > and added:
> >      auto wlan0
> >      iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> >
> > Once I did that, my new laptop found the neighbor's 2 wireless
> > networks.  Now I can go ahead and setup my new wireless router.
> >

> Cool. Is that really all that you did? I am a little surprised that
> there wasn't already an entry for your wireless (wlan0). You
> shouldn't have needed to remove your settings for the loopback
> divice (lo). Try adding that the loopback section back in and see
> if everything still works. Glad to hear that you got it working be
> sure to write down somewhere what you did so that if you ever
> reinstall you can get it back.
>
> --
> -john

I probably didn't write that correctly.  I never did remove the
loopback section.  I actually ended up removing the wlan0 section.
I'm wondering if adding the wlan0 section, and then removing it,
forced NetworkManager to reconfigure and work properly?

I just got back from a "test" run through town.  There is a community
network in the small town where we live.  I was able to get on and do
some browsing.  I also went to McDonalds and logged in there.

So now, it seems that the computer is working the way it should and I
can start setting up my new Linksys WRT54GL so I can disconnect from
the wire here at home.

--
Raquel
http://www.byraquel.com