BASH redirect & grep -v help needed

dave selby dave6502 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:34:53 UTC 2009

>> So any idea why xxx.out contains zsip instead of the above ?
>
> No idea.  What happens without the stderr redirection?

motion -c /home/dave/kmotion2/core/motion_conf/motion.conf 2>&1 | grep
-v 'saved to'

works a treat. 'motion' starts, outputs and keeps running and I have
to ctrl-c to stop it.

motion -c /home/dave/kmotion2/core/motion_conf/motion.conf 2>&1 | grep
-v 'saved to' >> xxx.out

outputs nothing, but zip in xxx.out

I am wondering if the output to the BASH shell is 'instant' but the
output to >> is only processed on 'motion' ending
in some way ?

Dave