GUI programming question

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Wed Feb 18 07:55:33 UTC 2009

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:55:46PM +0000, WipeOut wrote:
>
>> I have a small project that needs a simple GUI app developped to
>> simplify firing off complicated command lines..
>>

> [...]
>

>> Whats the easiest way to do this for someone with very little
>> programming experience??
There is another option which is the GUI programming language called
Gambas. It's very similar to Visual Basic, and is actually a Basic
programming language. With it, you will be able to create the form for
your project in a what you see is what you get environment, that will
allow you to drag and drop elements like the command buttons, and text
boxes onto a main form that you start the project with..

Once you have the form looking the way you want it, you then put your
code in function modules which are associated with action triggers from
the elements you have added to your form. For instance, for a command
button, there will be click() event that you can add code to as well as
an onmouseout(),, and a text box will have an onchange() event or
something close. and some other code events associated with it.

The form itself will have an onload event and an onunload event plus a
main event to add code to. Overall it makes developing a GIU application
very easy.

I've actually got it installed here, but I haven't gotten  around to
using it yet. It's available in the Ubuntu repositories, so just fire up
Synaptic and install it. 8-) You won't find an easier way to create a
GUI program in Ubuntu.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com