Both cable and wifi active?

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 04:55:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at arinet.org> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> Why lately, when I connect my network cable, gets IP, then my wireless
> becomes active, and gets IP too?
> So, now my notebook has 2 IPs, one from cable, one from wireless. I
> can browse the network, and internet alright, though. Strange.
> Anyone has got any clue to remedy it?

By "remedy it" do you want the internet to not work when you get 2 IPs ? :-)
(JK)

I have also encountered the same situation. This results in there being 2
default gateway routes on your system.
You can verify this with "route -n"

I have observed that whichever is the latest route added, is the one used by
the system and the former one is rendered useless.

In your case, it seems that both your routes are valid to get your system
connected to the WAN side and hence you were able to
surf the internet.

If you want to "remedy" this, you need to delete one of the default routes.

Thanks,
Raseel
http://www.raseel.in