How to clean up mess after ATI Catalyst Control Center and Gnome Screen resolution tool?

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 22:47:54 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/17/2009 10:40 AM, H.S. wrote:

>> Would this work too?
>> 1. Boot normally (but you will not get the login screen)
>> 2. Pres CTRL+F1 to get the terminal.
> CTRL-ALT-F1

Yes. Sorry, my bad.

>> 3. Login using your admin account username and password.
>> 4. Move xorg.conf out of the way using:
>> $> sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup
> Note: I think to 'move' xorg.conf out of the way, you'd need to use 'mv'

No, I didn't mean the 'move' in that sense. The purpose was to make gdm
not find it yet keep a backup as a precaution.

> instead of 'cp':
> sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup
>> 5. Restart gdm using:
>> $> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
>>
>> One should then get the login screen back. Not sure if this method still
>>  works though, in case Ubuntu has done something new and doesn't deal
>> with xorg.conf anymore.
>>
>> If thing do not work out, go back to the terminal (CTRL+F1) and move the
>> xorg file back:
>> $> sudo cp  /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bakcup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>
>> and restart gdm as above.
>>

> That might be a way do do it. But there seems to be some 'magic' in the
> new xserver/xorg that I don't fully understand (or ever will?), so I'd

Aha! Something is going on there I think. I had a suspicion that Ubuntu
was up to some tricks in this regard but I don't know what.

> just do xfix. It does create a backup of the previous xorg.conf and
> renames it by date - example xorg.conf to xorg.conf.20090217142819. You
> can however run it from a terminal:
>
> sudo /usr/share/recovery-mode/options/xfix

Wonderful. Better than having to use a LiveCD, which sometimes can be
confusing to use in special circumstances by novices.

ever having been read.