+ and - keys no longer zooming in Firefox

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 17 22:14:53 UTC 2009

On 02/17/2009 08:56 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> 2009/2/17 Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com>:
>> Liam Proven wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, zooming still works, it is the shortcut keys that do not.

>>> I don't know of any other apps I have that use Ctrl-[+]/[-] to zoom...
>>> It doesn't do anything in GNOME terminal. (Well, actually, it prints
>>> "other other"...)
>>>
>>> (Experimenting)
>>>
>>> Aha! It looks like my numeric keypad isn't typing characters at all...
>>> OK, I shall try a reboot, a disconnect/reconnect & failing that,
>>> another physical keyboard.
>>>

>> This might be an absurd question,, but have you tried the Numlock Key?
>> Normally, numlock doesn't affect the + - and Enter keys, but I have seen
>> non-standard keyboards that re-purpose these when Numlock is not on.
>
> Yes, I have, and it's fair enough to ask! :¬)
>
> It seems to make no difference if it's on or off. Neither editing mode
> nor number mode is working.

By coincidence I was at my son's house this past weekend and was doing
some updates/housecleaning on their 8.04.2 system. I noticed that the
keyboard keypad wasn't working. I asked and they said "it stopped a few
days ago" & they thought that their 4 yr old had done something. So I
poked around & finally found out the problem;
System|Preferences|Keyboard|Mouse Keys| was checked. As soon as I
unchecked it, the numbers keypad worked just fine.  Have a look on your
system to see if by some chance your's did the same.