prevents the writing on pendrive of viruses, trojans, dialers, etc

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Feb 17 15:25:21 UTC 2009

Cesar Augusto Suarez wrote:
> I carry my USB flash drive that contains a lot of portable tools with
> me all the time but I am afraid of one thing, which is a computer virus
> such as JambanMu or MaxTrox that is able to infect USB flash drives and
> bind itself to the executable files in there. So far there are only
> ways to disable writing to USB flash drive on your computer by editing
> the registry but if you plug it into a public computer which has virus,
> your USB flash drive will be writable and can be infected by virus. So
> is having a pendrive with a built-in write protect switch the only way
> to prevent the drive from virus infection?
> wich command lets me creates a “block” file to fill up the remaining free space on the USB
> flash drive? (winbugs is "fsutils") When there is no space left on the removable drive, virus
> won’t be able to copy itself to to drive or infect any executable files.

Oh, that's an interesting idea.. I can't vouch if this will really work
for your intended purpose, but assuming that 0 bytes free does indeed
prevent the virus infections....

dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/USB_Drive/filler should do the trick nicely.
(Note, replace "USB_Drive" with whatever appropriate mount point your
system is using.)