Firefox lock file?

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Feb 14 10:14:09 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/13/2009 12:33 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> One more thing to try with Firefox is to force it to create a new
>>> profile for you.  Go to the .mozilla/firefox folder and move the
>>> profiles.ini to profiles.ini.old and see if you can get firefox to start
>>> for you.
>>>

>> By golly, that did the trick! Thanks Smoot! I now have to configure
>> Firefox back to my likings, but that's no big deal, as it is now
>> starting up with no problems, and I no longer have to use gksu to
>> accomplish it. 8-)
>>
>> Now to figure out why Nautilus keeps tossing a crash nearly every time I
>> shut it down. I guess now I'll install those updates that have been
>> waiting for me to decide whether or not I was going to re-install Ubuntu.
>>
>> By the way, do you know how to formulate regular expressions for grep? I
>> asked about it in a previous post, and I would really like to know what
>> I was doing wrong there.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> Glad you got it working (mostly); as a side note: please do not *ever*
> run Firefox/browser in root (or gksu) mode.
>
> Also, I think that I messed up on my previous advise regarding:
>
> sudo -i
> chown -R ray:ray /home/ray
>
> That doesn't seem to actually change root owned directories (the default
> install of the 'Examples' directory is a good example. You _can_ change
> the 'Examples' directory by:
>
> sudo chown -R ray:ray /home/ray/Examples/
>
> and that seems to work just fine. But it does not work if you use the
> 'chown -R ray:ray /home/ray'. So perhaps Smoot or Nils etc., can set
> me/us straight on what needs to be done to change everything in your
> home directory back to 'ray'.

I've already gotten everything in my user folders set back to my
ownership, and I think I used the command as you gave it there to
accomplish it. I'm pretty sure I consulted man chown first, as I'm
fairly cautious, so I may have modified the command some as well, I
can't remember now.

I've also figured out which date I originally moved the folders, and the
date that I moved the other folders back, so I can now tell which ones
are which. Now all I have to do is study a few items out of the doc
folders to see if I have everything back where it belongs.

Thanks again, Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com