Firefox lock file?

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Feb 14 10:06:17 UTC 2009

alex goretoy wrote:
> all of the files in the updated ownership.txt file need to be owned by
> YOU. not root. You system will not break if you do
>
> sudo chown -R ray.ray .
>
> in your homedir, the permission denied you get for .gvfs is normal
> even if your root
>
> If you want to track changes in a directory and/or its file you can
> use etckeeper, bzr is optional. It intended for /etc but you can use
> it to keep/track changes to any dir
>
> sudo apt-get install etckeeper bzr
>
> If you moved files out of there originating directories you can try to
> create a new account and compare that to your current account. just
> make sure to run some of those apps first on the new account so it
> creates the files those apps use in your new homedir
>
> -Alex Goretoy
> http://www.goretoy.com
>
>     Ok, I re-ran the find with sudo, and still get one error message -
>
>     ray at ray-desktop:~$ sudo find . ! -user ray -ls > ownership.txt
>     [sudo] password for ray:
>     find: ./.gvfs: Permission denied
>
>     I've uploaded the new ownership.txt file to
>
>     http://www.rayslinks.com/ownership.txt
>
>     I'm sure that many of the folders shown as not owned by me are the
>     ones
>     I cut and pasted in, but do not remember exactly where I cut them
>     from.
>
>     If I ever get over this sore throat and constant coughing I will be
>     getting on this a bit more closely. For now I have very little energy
>     and a headache to boot.
>
>     I'm wondering if there is a command to get output of a date sorted
>     list
>     of the folders in my user folder. If their dates changed when I
>     cut and
>     pasted them, at least I could tell which ones did not belong.
>
>     Later, Ray Parrish

Yes, I've already gotten around to changing the ownership of all files
and folders in my user folder to myself, and surprisingly enough, even
the .gvfs folder is now set to me, but is empty. I'm just in the process
of studying the readme's and other docs in the doc/gvfs folders to
determine just where the folder belongs anyway.

I've also discovered the dates that I moved the folders, so now I can
tell which ones I originally moved, and which ones I have moved back
where I think they belong already. Over the past few days I've learned a
lot about the file system in Ubuntu, which is a good thing. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com